💡 I don’t have the luxury to get access to premium analytics so I start with some free information available online. This note follows Free Fire – Preparation 01 to collect Garena Free Fire public data and some initial thoughts.
Recent Data – All from Senor Tower
First Half 2020 Top Games
- In the first half of 2020, Garena Free Fire took No.1 and No.2 in Google Play Downloads and Overall Downloads, respectively.
- In terms of grossing, Garena Fire Fire took No.10 in Google Play Revenue but didn’t enter into top 10 either in App Store or Overall. This is due to lower ARpPU in markets that are dominated or newly penetrated by Garena Free Fire.
- Acquiring large user base is just the beginning. It takes some efforts and time to increase the monetization through on-going operation to keep the engagement high (eventually to increase paying user ratio and average spending among paying users…)… Another way to boost the ARpPU is to penetrate high ARpPU gamer segment in existing markets or markets with higher ARpPU. Increasing or jump in downloads in App Store or Developed Markets might be early sign of improving ARpPU which might lead to elevated grossing going forward.
- According to Senor Tower, Garena Free Fire generated $300M in the first half of 2020.
Top Mobile Games Worldwide by Monthly Downloads and Revenue
- The Worldwide Downloads of Garena Free Fire has been trending up since March 2020 in both Google Play and Overall Ranking. It was top 3 in both Google Play and Overall Ranking May 2020.
- As discussed above, the leading position in downloads still had some leakage in revenue conversion. It seems Garena Free Fire struggled to maintain its top grossing mobile game position in Google Play in the first five months of 2020. Not surprisingly, it didn’t show up in App Store or Overall ranking during this period of time.
- Revenue ranking here is just relative number. It’s likely that Garena Free Fire’s absolute revenue numbers during this period of time were healthy or even impressive.
- Next: cross check with Sea’s Digital Entertainment numbers and update June number from Sensor Tower few days later.
Sources and monthly ranking can be found in Notion version.