Country Garden Service (6098.HK)
[August 26, 2019]
Meeting Note 1 @ One IFC
The company posted strong 1H2019 earnings last Friday. Reaction in the market were quite positive reflecting in stock price movement and high attendance in the meeting.
Related post: Country Garden Service – Initial thoughts
Topics of Interest
- Maybe it’s for the modeling purpose, fellow investors focused mainly on mix of business line, their growth rates, and profitability. From their questions on full year guidance and next year trajectory, their investment horizon might be around six to eighteen months. This industry is a secular growth story. Key is adjacent markets penetration will expand the total addressable market of a simple property management company. The management team indicates that a “mature” property management company can have more than hundred of business line. Just think about how many services the company can provide to its residential owners and their community. Thus, the core of my thesis, if I eventually come up with one, would be the service roadmap and execution plan.
- Value-added service is difficult in commercial properties. It’s a to B business.
- Mix of net addition of ~80M sqm: parent company ~60M sqm, 3P ~17-18M net, acquisition ~7M sqm.
- Long-term gross margin of property management on existing properties will be around 28%-30%.
- Value-added service gross margin is +60%.
- Different kind of regulation can be translated into a new revenue source such as recycling regulation. Some clients are willing to pay a fee for recycling. The amount might be as high as property management fee in the long run.
- It seem the company is fine with equity financing, only selectively on channel. It prefers to bring in new strategic investors in private placement rather than public offering.
- There’s still no progress on overseas acquisition. The concerns are mainly post-acquisition integration and the reception of Chinese property manager abroad.
- The average household spending for its customers is around RMB 10,000/month. The company estimates that around 50% is spent on related business. The total addressable market is large and the only question is how the company plans to capture the market.
- It seems the company will have other roadshows this week. Maybe get more exposure.
- Build up a simple model to organize data points later this week.
Country Garden Service (6098.HK)
[August 24, 2019]
* Initial Thoughts *
I came across this stock when reviewing post earnings release roadshow schedule. It showed up in various timeslots at different brokers’ venues. This indicates the market is interested in the stock and the company is happy to promote itself publicly.
Country Garden Service is a property management service provider and it has a related party, Country Garden (2007.HK) which is an HK-listed property developer / operator. Due to related party, there are basically two segments in Country Garden Service’s properties under management: 1st party (related party) and 3rd party. Before 1P / 3P mix becoming “balanced” in portfolio, path dependence governs the geographic cluster of properties and market segment of properties and their owners which has impact on the pricing and adoption of services offered.
The company provides not only property management service but also property related services among daily demand and along the ownership life cycle. In addition, Country Garden Service engages in other property-related services and trajectory is to penetrate everywhere in the value network.
The business can be described as labor intensive but relatively less capital intensive. It can demonstrate economics of scale in area with high density of property under management and probably on higher geographic level. On the service side, it’s about up-sell and cross-sell to drive revenue contribution on top of basic management fee.
One of key characteristics of this business is high stickiness of customer. Generally, property owner is less likely to change property manager as the switching cost is high. The customer relationship gets deeper as time goes by. Low churn rate and cross-sell / up-sell opportunities will lead to healthy net dollar retention on property level. Long lifetime real estate and the net dollar retention will translate into impressive customer lifetime value. When you have a related party that is doing property development, you probably won’t spend a lot on customer acquisition. CLTV/CAC should be very attractive.
Company Specific before Meeting Management Team
- I like their presentation. It seems the company has put some efforts on it.
- Basically, every leading property management player should be able to adopt similar business model. So why Country Garden Service? Maybe there are other more attractive targets. This needs a comp analysis.
- What is the real customer experience? If actually reception is bad, the strong stock price development might attract short sellers with reports distributed.
- See if I can meet the management team next week.
- Not sure if on-site visit is needed.
* Related Posts After This *
[2019/8/26] Country Garden Service – Meeting Note 1